A capable and comfortable truck.
The 2021 Chevrolet Colorado has loads of capability, a great range of powertrain choices, and attractive styling. You have a choice of trims that include everything from a more basic work truck to extreme off-road trims, so there's a version of the Colorado that's sure to fit your needs.
Choices include rear-wheel or all-wheel drive, two gas powertrain options, and a diesel option with plenty of torque. A standard eight-inch infotainment touchscreen with Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ keeps you connected while standard driver assistance features including rear park assist will set your mind at ease.
While we currently do not have many 2021 Chevrolet Colorados on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. If you love the 2021 model, you should also consider prior model years of the Chevrolet Colorado with similar features.
Here's what you'll learn in this 2021 Chevrolet Colorado review:
Key Specs and Features
- The 2021 Chevrolet Colorado with RWD, 2.8L engine, and automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 23 mpg combined.1
- The 2021 Chevrolet Colorado with RWD, 2.5L engine, and automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 22 mpg combined.1
- The 2021 Chevrolet Colorado with RWD, 3.6L engine, and automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 21 mpg combined.1
- The 2021 Chevrolet Colorado with 4WD, 2.8L engine, and automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 22 mpg combined.1
- The 2021 Chevrolet Colorado with 4WD, 2.5L engine, and automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 21 mpg combined.1
- The 2021 Chevrolet Colorado with 4WD, 3.6L engine, and automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 19 mpg combined.1
- The 2021 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 with 4WD, 2.8L engine, and automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 19 mpg combined.1
- The 2021 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 with 4WD, 3.6L engine, and automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 17 mpg combined.1
- Extended cab models include a 6-foot-2-inch long box.
- Crew Cab body style gives you a choice between a 5-foot-2-inch short box or the 6-foot-2-inch long box.
- Chevrolet Colorado towing capacity is an estimated 3,500 lbs with the 2.5L four-cylinder on 2021 models, when properly equipped.2
- Chevrolet Colorado towing capacity is an estimated 7,700 lbs with the 2.8L four-cylinder diesel engine on 2021 models, when properly equipped.2
- Chevrolet Colorado towing capacity is an estimated 7,000 lbs with the 3.6L V6 on 2021 models, when properly equipped.2
- Five passengers
- The standard engine is a 2.5L four-cylinder direct-injected gasoline engine producing 200 hp and 191 lb-ft of torque.
- Available in select trim configurations is a 3.6L V6 direct-injected gasoline engine producing 308 hp and 275 lb-ft of torque.
- Also available is a 2.8L four-cylinder turbo-diesel engine producing 181 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque.
- Driver-assistance options
- HD Vision rear camera
- Eight-inch infotainment touchscreen
- Two USB ports
- Apple CarPlay and Android connectivity
The 2021 Chevrolet Colorado has a strong sales history at CarMax. It has been featured in these ranking lists.
- 2nd — Best Pickup Trucks (2020)
- 3rd — Best Small Trucks (2020)
- 2nd — Pickup Trucks under $25K (2020)
- 4th — Most Reliable Trucks (2020)
5 Reasons to Buy
1. Available Four-Wheel Drive
The 2021 Chevrolet Colorado is available with rear-wheel or four-wheel drive. If you frequently find yourself driving off-road or spend a good portion of the year dealing with challenging weather, then four-wheel drive will make easier work of the job. It provides a better grip on wet and icy roads and improves handling on muddy, unpaved surfaces.
2. Engine Options
The available 3.6L V6 engine on the 2021 Chevrolet Colorado increases horsepower and torque for better performance whether you're accelerating up to highway speeds or towing a heavy load (estimated capacity: 7,000 lbs, when properly equipped).2 There's also a 2.8L four-cylinder diesel engine, which boasts the highest torque of the three engine options. It can tow an estimated 7,700 lbs when properly equipped, which is a big deal if you need something that will haul a camper, boat, or trailer.2 The 2.8L four-cylinder diesel engine makes getting up to speed with a heavy load easier, which is especially important merging into heavy highway traffic.
3. High Tow Rating
The 2021 Chevrolet Colorado with the diesel engine has an impressive estimated tow rating of up to 7,700 lbs, when properly equipped.2 Whether you're planning a weekend getaway with a pop-up camper, heading out for some winter fun with a snowmobile, or hauling supplies to a jobsite, the Colorado is up to the task. And with 17 tiedown points and a bevy of accessories available, you can customize your Colorado exactly the way you want it.
4. Easy-to-Use Infotainment System
Infotainment in the 2021 Chevrolet Colorado includes key smartphone connectivity with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, with available navigation. There's also available 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot capability, Bluetooth® audio streaming, and a selection of in-vehicle apps.3 The best part, however, is the infotainment system's ease of use that won't frustrate or distract the driver.
5. Smooth Ride
Not every truck offers a ride that lets passengers get comfortable, but the 2021 Chevy Colorado does just that. It has a welcoming and relaxing interior with plenty of room for front and rear passengers. The rear seats fit three adults and there's enough space that a couple of kids won't end up arguing about keeping to their own side and not crossing that imaginary dividing line in the middle.
What You Need to Know
- WT: Includes 17-inch wheels, halogen headlamps, an eight-inch touchscreen, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and more.
- LT: Adds power outside mirrors, EZ-lift and lower tailgate, unlocks a selection of option packages, and more.
- Z71: Adds 3.6L engine, heated power outside mirrors, corner step rear bumper, fog lamps, and more.
- ZR2: Adds spray-on bedliner, ZR2 off-road package, four-way power front passenger seat, leather-trimmed front seats, and more.
- Bright Blue Metallic
- Cherry Red Tintcoat
- Sand Dune Metallic (available on ZR2 trim only)
- Satin Steel Metallic
- Summit White
- Seats five passengers
- Available Bose® premium audio system (not available on WT trim)
- Infotainment system, featuring Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, two USB ports, available 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot capability, and more.3
- Dual rear seats with underseat storage (WT and LT trims only)
Average CarMax Prices
The 2021 Chevrolet Colorado is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. See below for average CarMax prices for previous model years of the Chevrolet Colorado.
- 2011 — Average price less than $15,0004
- 2012 — Average price less than $17,0004
- 2015 — Average price less than $22,5004
- 2016 — Average price less than $24,0004
- 2017 — Average price less than $25,5004
- 2018 — Average price less than $25,5004
- 2019 — Average price less than $27,0004
- 2020 — Average price less than $25,0004
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2021 Chevrolet Colorado, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
The 2021 Chevrolet Colorado is rated overall 4/5 by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2021 Chevrolet Colorado, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
The 2019 Chevrolet Silverado is a full-size truck that was all-new this model year. It has an estimated payload rating of 2,500 lbs and an estimated tow rating of 12,200 lbs with the 6.2L V8, when properly equipped. 2 There are eight trims and six available engines, including a diesel, and seating for up to six passengers. Silverados from model years 2017–2019 include:
- Available advanced trailering package
- Standard seven-inch infotainment touchscreen
- Available 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot connectivity3
- Standard Teen Driver feature
The 2017 Honda Ridgeline marked the first full redesign of this compact truck since the 2014 model year. It offers a choice of front-wheel or all-wheel drive with seating for up to five passengers. There is only one engine option with an estimated maximum payload rating of 1,584 lbs and an estimated tow rating of 5,000 lbs in the AWD version (FWD has an estimated tow rating of 3,500 lbs, when properly equipped).2 For 2017–2019 model years of the Ridgeline, the following are standard:
- Push-button start
- Multi-angle rearview camera
- Dual-action tailgate
- In-bed trunk
The Ford Ranger was reintroduced for the 2019 model year after a long hiatus. It has seating for up to five passengers with a choice of rear-wheel or four-wheel drive, three trims, and a single-engine option. Standard driver assistance features include pre-collision assist with automatic emergency braking. If you're interested in a Ranger in model years 2017–2019, you'll find these standard features.
- Auto on/off headlamps
- Capless fuel-filler
- Full-size spare tire
- Two front tow hooks (four-wheel drive trims only)
The Bottom Line
The 2021 Chevrolet Colorado is a compact truck that offers a balance between capability and comfort. It provides a spacious and well-equipped interior that lets passengers relax but also has the utility you'd expect from a truck. Infotainment includes key connectivity, and a range of engines and trims make it easy to find the right Colorado to suit your needs.
To learn more about trucks in this class, check out these related articles:
1Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates for when vehicle sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov.
>2Various factors may impact towing capacity, including weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories.
3Wi-Fi hotspots require a data plan to activate and may also require a compatible device. See the owner's manual or manufacturer website for more information.
4Based on prices on carmax.com between January 2, 2019 and June 4, 2020. Actual prices may vary based on your selected model year, features and trim packages. Prices do not include taxes, tags, titles, and any applicable fees.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.