Big on style, space, and capability.
Space, strength, and style are the defining characteristics of the 2021 GMC Yukon. The Yukon got entirely redesigned for 2021. You have two body styles to choose from—a standard-length Yukon or extended-length Yukon XL. The 2021 GMC Yukon now has independent rear suspension and available adjustable-height suspension. These are the practical touches you're looking for in a large SUV like the 2021 GMC Yukon.
While we currently do not have many 2021 GMC Yukons on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. If you love the 2021 model, you should also consider the GMC Yukon's prior model years with similar features.
Here's what you'll learn in this 2021 GMC Yukon review:
Key Specs & Features
- A rear-wheel drive 2021 GMC Yukon and Yukon XL with a 5.3L V8 engine and ten-speed automatic transmission get an EPA-estimated 18 mpg combined.2
- When equipped with four-wheel drive, a 6.2L V8, and a ten-speed automatic transmission, the 2021 GMC Yukon and Yukon XL get an EPA-estimated 16 mpg combined.2
- The 2021 GMC Yukon has 25.5 cu-ft of space behind the third row
- The 2021 GMC Yukon XL improves to 41.5 cu-ft of space behind the third row
- The 2021 GMC Yukon has a maximum of 122.9 cu-ft, while the Yukon XL has 144.7 cu-ft of space with all rows folded
- The 2021 GMC Yukon with a 5.3L V8 engine and the available Max Trailering Package has a maximum towing capacity of 8,400 lbs, when properly equipped.6
- The 2021 GMC Yukon and Yukon XL seat up to eight passengers
- A standard 5.3L V8 engine with 355 hp
- An available 6.2L V8 engine with 420 hp
- An available turbocharged 3.0L six-cylinder diesel engine
- Adaptive cruise control and blind-spot monitoring
- Adjustable-height air suspension
- 10.3-inch touchscreen with audio streaming
- Available wireless charging
- Bose® 14-speaker sound system
The GMC Yukon has a strong sales history at CarMax. It has been featured in these ranking lists:
- 5th — Best Luxury SUVs (2021)
- 6th — Best Large SUVs (2020)
- 10th — Best 8-Passenger SUVs (2020)
- 4th — Best Luxury 3-Row SUVs (2020)
5 Reasons to Buy
1. Space for the Whole Crew
Eight passengers take up a lot of space, and so does all the stuff they need to carry. But the 2021 GMC Yukon has room to spare. Even the standard-length 2021 GMC Yukon has a whopping 163.8 cu-ft of passenger volume. There is 25.5 cu-ft of space for whatever luggage your crew needs, too. Do you need more? Upgrade to the 2021 GMC Yukon XL for 41.5 cu-ft of luggage-storing trunk space.
2. Luxury Treatment
At the top of the line, the 2021 GMC Yukon Denali trim has everything you're looking for in luxury treatments. The Denali includes many exclusives, like perforated premium leather-wrapped seats. Scattered throughout the cabin is stylish chrome trim. And a power-sliding center console improves access and legroom between the couch-like second-row captain's chairs.
3. Lift the Height on Your Ride
New for the 2021 GMC Yukon is an available height-adjustable system. With independent suspension at each wheel, the 2021 GMC Yukon has four different heights you can set. The air-suspension also provides a more comfortable ride than standard springs. When you load down the 2021 GMC Yukon, the air-suspension system stiffens up, maintaining the ride quality.
4. The Latest in Technology
Driving assists and touch screens are only the beginning of the tech features you'll find on the 2021 GMC Yukon. Get the information you need up front with an available 15-inch multi-color head-up display. Get rid of phone cords altogether with the optional wireless projection for Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay®. Treat your passengers with the 12.6-inch high-resolution rear-seat entertainment system. There are also HDMI and USB ports throughout the 2021 GMC Yukon for everyone's use.
5. Powerful Engines to get the Job Done
With an SUV this big, the 2021 GMC Yukon needs the power to deliver. There's an impressive 5.3L V8 engine on all 2021 GMC Yukons, making 355 hp. Get more by upgrading to the 6.2L V8 engine, which produces 420 hp. Both engines are great if you love off-roading or just like to feel a roar of power when you put your foot down. There's even a turbocharged 3.0L six-cylinder diesel engine available, too.
What You Need to Know
- SLE — Includes a ten-speed automatic transmission, Wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay capability, a 10.2-inch touchscreen, front and rear camera, and more.
- SLT — Adds 20-inch wheels, wireless charging, a nine-speaker Bose sound system, heated front seats, leather seat surfaces, and more.
- AT4 — Adds off-road essentials like horizontal recovery hooks, increased front approach angle, skid plates, hill descent control, and more
- Denali — Adds to SLT an exclusive appearance package, a high-definition surround-view camera, authentic wood interior trim, a 14-speaker Bose sound system, and more.
- Cayenne Red Tintcoat
- Dark Sky Metallic
- Midnight Blue Metallic
- Onyx Black
- Pearl Beige Metallic
- Satin Steel Metallic
- Smokey Quartz Metallic
- Summit White
- White Frost Tricoat
- Up to 41.5 cu-ft of rear cargo area (Yukon XL)
- Three rows of seating for up to eight passengers
- Wireless charging and phone projection
- An available multi-color head up display
- Heated and cooled second-row captain's chairs available
Average CarMax Prices
The 2021 GMC Yukon is a newer model year, and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. See below for average CarMax prices for previous model years of the GMC Yukon.1
- 2015 — Average price less than $34,0001
- 2016 — Average price less than $36,5001
- 2017 — Average price less than $39,5001
- 2018 — Average price less than $42,5001
- 2019 — Average price less than $45,0001
- 2020 — Average price less than $59,0001
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2021 GMC Yukon, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
The 2021 GMC Yukon has not yet been rated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2021 GMC Yukon, you should also check out these similar vehicles from the previous model years.
Get up to seven-passenger seating, plenty of cargo space, and V8 power for hauling from the 2017–2019 Chevrolet Tahoe. All 2017–2019 Chevrolet Tahoes come equipped with a 5.3L V8 engine making 355 hp. The 5.3L V8 enables up to an estimated 8,600 pounds of towing capacity, when properly equipped.3 A six-speed transmission and available 4WD round out the 2017–2019 Chevrolet Tahoe's capable power plant. Pick from the LS, LT, and Premium trims to get the right options for you.
Some of the other features you'll get on the 2017–2019 Chevrolet Tahoe include:
- LED daytime running lights (LS and above)
- A rearview camera and reverse assist (LS and above)
- A 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot5 (LS and above)
- Driver assist features like lane-keep assist and adaptive cruise control (Premiere)
- Forward collision alert and forward low-speed collision braking (LT and above)
The 2017–2019 GMC Acadia is an ideal vehicle to move your family around without investing in a full-sized SUV. Don't let the small stature fool you; there's still up to 79 cu-ft of space for cargo behind the front seats. An available 310-hp 3.6L V6 engine has the power for families and any toys you might tow. Easy-to-fold seating for up to seven means room for your family and friends. If going off-road is your thing, you can add AWD on 2017–2019 SLT and higher trims.
The 2017–2019 GMC Acadia includes:
- Remote start3 (SLE-1 and higher)
- Heated front seats (SLE-2 and higher)
- Power-programmable liftgate (SLE-2 and higher)
- Up to an estimated 4,000 pounds of towing, on 2017–2019 GMC Acadia models with the 3.6L V6 engine, when properly equipped4
- A Bose premium sound system (SLT-1 and higher)
Step into a refined family vehicle when you drive the 2017–2019 Buick Enclave. A sub-frame has been added to the body to improve rigidity and responsiveness. The 2017–2019 Buick Enclave uses a tested 3.6L V6 engine and nine-speed transmission. Depending on the level of luxury trim you want, the Buick Enclave comes in three trims: Essence, Premium, and Avenir.
Some of the features you'll find on a 2017–2019 Buick Enclave include:
- Active AWD system (Premium and higher)
- Heated front seats (all trims)
- In-cabin air ionizer (all trims)
- A 10-speaker Bose sound system (Premium and higher)
- A power sunroof (Avenir trim)
The Bottom Line
The 2021 GMC Yukon is an ideal SUV if you're looking for a comfortable ride for many people. A full range of engines has what you need to carry or haul large cargo, boats, or RVs. There's ample space to carry the luggage you may have. If you're in the market for an SUV that's your next family hauler, the 2021 GMC Yukon is a great option.
Want to learn more? Check out some of these additional resources:
1Based on prices on carmax.com in 1/1/2019 - 5/31/2020. Actual prices may vary based on your selected model year, features, and trim packages. Prices do not include taxes, tags, titles, and any applicable fees.
2Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates when vehicles are sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov.
3Remote start functionality may require the purchase of a subscription plan and/or a compatible device like a smartphone. See the owner's manual or manufacturer website for more information.
4Various factors may impact towing capacity, including the weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories.
5Wi-Fi hotspots require a data plan to activate and may also require a compatible device. See the owner's manual or manufacturer website for more information.
6Various factors may impact towing capacity, including weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.