Retro cool in a modern muscle car.
The Dodge Challenger is a two-door muscle-car coupe with a massive array of engines and trim levels to choose from. First produced in 1969, the Challenger is now in its third generation which spans more than a decade, starting back in 2008 and continually improving over time.
For 2017, there were four engine options, two transmission options, and a choice between RWD and AWD (on V6 models only). For the 2018 model year, the Challenger was also available in sixteen different trim levels. For 2019, Dodge added the 797-hp Hellcat Redeye and the R/T Scat Pack 1320 to the Challenger lineup. While we currently do not have many 2020 Dodge Challengers on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. Here's what you'll learn in this 2020 Dodge Challenger review:
Key Specs & Features
- The 2020 Dodge Challenger comes standard with a 3.6L V6 engine which gets an EPA-estimated 23 mpg combined city/highway on RWD models and an EPA-estimated 21 mpg combined city/highway on AWD models.1
- Models equipped with the 5.7L V8 get an EPA-estimated 19 mpg combined city/highway with the automatic transmission and an EPA-estimated 18 mpg combined city/highway with the manual transmission.1
- Models with the 6.2L V8 get an EPA-estimated 16 mpg combined city/highway (with the exception of the Widebody version which gets an EPA-estimated 15 mpg). Challengers with the 6.4L V8 and automatic transmission get an EPA-estimated 18 mpg combined city/highway and an EPA-estimated 17 mpg combined city/highway with the manual transmission.1
- The 2020 Challenger boasts an EPA interior volume of 120.8 cubic feet with 16.2 cubic feet of cargo space in the trunk.
- Regardless of engine, the 2020 Dodge Challenger's towing capacity is an estimated 1,000 lbs. when properly equipped.2
- The 2020 Dodge Challenger can seat up to five people across its two rows of seating.
Engine Options:The 2020 Dodge Challenger is available with four engine options:
- SXT and GT models come standard with a 305-hp 3.6L V6.
- R/T models come standard with a 375-hp 5.7L V8.
- R/T Scat Pack models feature a 485-hp 6.4L V8.
- The SRT® Hellcat gets an incredible 707-hp from its 6.2L supercharged V8.
- The SRT Hellcat Redeye is the most powerful 2020 Dodge Challenger, getting 797-hp from its 6.2L supercharged V8 engine.
- The 2020 Dodge Challenger comes standard with a seven-inch touchscreen, two USB ports, Bluetooth®, SiriusXM® satellite radio, and Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ connectivity.
- You can also opt for a larger 8.4-inch touchscreen (optional on SXT, GT, and R/T trims but standard on all other trims) and available satellite navigation, which is optional across all Challenger trim levels.
- You can also upgrade the standard six-speaker system for an 18-speaker Harman Kardon® audio system.
The Dodge Challenger has a strong sales history at CarMax. It has been featured in these ranking lists:
- 4th - Best Muscle Cars (2019)
- 2nd - Best Coupe Cars (2019)
- 10th - Best Manual Transmission Cars (2019)
5 Reasons to Buy
1. RETRO COOL
Old-school roots meet modern muscle with the 2020 Dodge Challenger. With decidedly-cool retro style, you'll never get tired of seeing it in your driveway or garage. Eight cool exterior colors plus a bevy of customizable exterior add-ons like stripes and badges, as well as the option to update wheels, hoods, and spoilers mean that you can find a Challenger that's as unique as your tastes.
2. NEW TECH FOR 2020
The Challenger may be retro-cool on the outside but it features some of the latest in technology and convenience features on the inside! From the advanced Uconnect® system with a large available 8.4-inch touchscreen display to additional tech like navigation and an available 4G LTE® Wi-Fi Hotspot, the Challenger is more than just stylish and powerful, it's well equipped too.3 You can also expect SiriusXM satellite radio, Bluetooth, and Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity, allowing you to listen to your favorite music from the driver seat of your Challenger.
3. BIG POWER
For 2020, Dodge offers the Challenger with four engine options and two transmission options: a six-speed manual or a TorqueFlite® eight-speed automatic. The base SXT and GT trims come standard with a 305-hp 3.6L V6 while the R/T trim comes standard with a 375-hp 5.7L V8. Upgrade to the Challenger R/T Scat Pack and get a 485-hp 6.4L V8. Even crazier is the Challenger SRT® Hellcat which gets an amazing 707-hp from its 6.2L supercharged V8. Crazier still is the SRT Hellcat Redeye with its 797-hp 6.2L supercharged V8 engine.
4. AVAILABLE AWD
Looking to drive your muscle car in all sorts of weather? Take a look at the Challenger SXT and GT trims and you'll find all-wheel drive alongside your two-door muscle. That means your Challenger doesn't have to be stuck in park during foul weather or tough winters—year-round fun awaits you with the 2020 Dodge Challenger.
5. LOTS OF SPACE
Room for people and belongings may not always be at the top of your list of priorities when shopping for a muscle car, it's usually more about what's under the hood. But, with a large 16.2 cubic feet of trunk space, you aren't sacrificing room for power—and if that's not enough, you can even expand that space via the standard 60/40-split-folding rear seats across all 2020 trim levels. You can also expect an impressive 33.1 inches of rear legroom, so don't be afraid to bring your friends along for the adventure.
What You Need to Know
2020 Dodge Challenger: Available Trims
The 2020 Dodge Challenger comes in five distinct trim configurations:
- SXT: The base Challenger comes with a 3.6L V6 and is impressively well-equipped. It sports features like 18-inch aluminum wheels, heated side mirrors, a seven-inch touchscreen, Apple CarPlay and Android Audio connectivity, and more.
- GT: The 3.6L V6 Challenger GT adds performance modifications like upgraded brakes, suspension and steering components, a functional hood scoop, fog lamps, 20-inch aluminum wheels, and more.
- R/T: The 5.7L Hemi V8 comes with a six-speed manual transmission and a cool active exhaust system.
- R/T Scat Pack/Widebody: Add the Scat Pack trim and get the 6.4L V8 engine plus upgraded performance mods like Brembo® four-piston brakes, a heavy-duty cooling system, an 8.4-inch touchscreen infotainment system with HD and SiriusXM radio, a heated steering wheel and front seats, and more.
- SRT Hellcat/Widebody: The outrageous Hellcat comes with a 707-hp 6.2L V8, a competition suspension, electric power steering, rear stabilizer bar, “air catcher" headlights, an after-run chiller, and an impressive 200-mph speedometer.
- SRT Hellcat Redeye/Widebody: The Redeye features an even more powerful 6.2L supercharged V8, and adds the SRT power chiller and a 220-mph speedometer.
2020 Dodge Challenger: Available Colors
The 2020 Dodge Challenger is available in the following eight exterior colors:
- F8 Green
- Go Mango
- IndiGo Blue
- Octane Red
- Pitch Black
- Triple Nickel
2020 Dodge Challenger: Interior
The 2020 Dodge Challenger is available with lots of great interior features:
- Standard sports seats come in black with cool houndstooth accents or you can opt for either black or red napa-leather-trimmed versions.
- You may want to upgrade further to performance seats, including black cloth with houndstooth inserts, red or black leather with Alcantara® suede inserts, or upgraded black or sepia Laguna leather with perforated leather inserts.
- Ventilated and heated seating is available as well as additional interior features like the Uconnect infotainment system, premium audio from Alpine® and Harmon Kardon®, and much more.
2020 Dodge Challenger: Average CarMax Prices
The 2020 Dodge Challenger is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. Pricing data for this model at CarMax is currently unavailable. See below to learn more about previous model years.
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2020 Dodge Challenger, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
Safety and Reliability
RepairPal® Reliability Ratings for the 2020 Dodge Challenger4
The 2020 Dodge Challenger is a newer model and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. You may also consider other used Dodge Challengers with similar features. Below are RepairPal reliability ratings for prior model years of the Dodge Challenger.
- Overall RepairPal Reliability Rating - 3.5/5.0
- Average annual cost of unscheduled repairs and maintenance: $650.00
RepairPal Reliability Ratings are based on the actual cost, frequency, and severity of unscheduled repairs and maintenance on make/model data for select 2010–2019 vehicles. The reliability of a specific vehicle may vary depending on its maintenance and driving history, model year, trim, and features. Learn more at www.carmax.com/repairpal-reliability.
NHTSA Safety Ratings - 2020 Dodge Challenger
The 2020 Dodge Challenger received an overall 4/5 by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2020 Dodge Challenger, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
Check out Dodge's own four-door muscle sedan, the Charger. Need a car that can shuttle your family and their belongings on weekdays but pump out horses on the track on weekends? The Charger is a great choice. With a wide range of options and trims, you're bound to find something you like the look of, too. The base 2019 SXT with its 3.6L V6 comes standard with a ton of great features like:
- Six-way power-adjustable driver seat
- Cloth seating
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Seven-inch touchscreen infotainment display
- Bluetooth and Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Push-start ignition
- Remote-start system
- Automatic headlights with LED daytime running lights
The Ford Mustang is a great option if you are looking for a four-passenger fast and fun car that can come as either a coupe or convertible. The Mustang is now in its sixth generation, which began in the 2015 model year. Each model year comes with a ton of great features and options. For 2017, buyers can choose from the base Mustang V6, Mustang Ecoboost®, Mustang GT, or the GT350 and GT350R. For model year 2018, the Mustang received significant updates; meanwhile, Ford dropped the V6 option and offered revised 2.3L four-cylinder and 5.0L V8 engines.
For the 2019 model year, you can choose from a 310-hp turbocharged Ecoboost four-cylinder, a 460-hp 5.0L V8 on the GT, or the 526-hp GT350 and GT350R models. The base 2019 Ford Mustang EcoBoost has standard features like:
- Six-speed manual transmission
- Dual bright exhaust with rolled polished tips
- LED Headlights, LED front park turn lamps, and LED sequential tail lights
- Hood vents
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Four-way manual driver seat and cloth seating
The seventh generation of the iconic Chevrolet Corvette began in 2014 and continued through the 2019 model year. You can choose from a coupe with a removable targa top or opt instead for a soft-top convertible. Starting with the 2017 model, you can also choose from the base Stingray or opt for the Grand Sport, both available in 1LT, 2LT, and 3LT trim levels and both powered by a 6.2L V8 engine. The track-ready ZO6 is also available across model years 2017–2019 and sports a 650-hp V8 engine and tons of performance add-ons. Or, you can go all out with the 755-hp ZR1, available for the 2019 model year!
Even the base 2019 1LT Stingray comes with great standard features like:
- Seven-speed manual transmission with Active Rev Matching
- 19-inch front and 20-inch rear silver-painted aluminum wheels
- Body-color carbon-fiber roof panel
- HID headlamps
- Eight-way power driver and passenger seats
- Bose premium audio system
- Chevrolet infotainment system with eight-inch touchscreen
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
The Bottom Line
The 2020 Dodge Challenger offers a ton of great features and options in a fun and surprisingly spacious two-door muscle car. Take a look at the various trim levels and you're guaranteed to find something that meets your needs.
Want to learn more about the Dodge Challenger and similar vehicles? Check out these related articles:
1Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates when vehicles sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov for details.
2Various factors may impact towing capacity, including weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories
3Wi-Fi hotspots require a data plan to activate and may also require a compatible device. See the owner's manual or manufacturer website for more information.
4RepairPal Reliability Ratings are provided by RepairPal and CarMax is not responsible for their accuracy. Learn more at repairpal.com/reliability.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.