Hybrid or electric power? You choose!
The 2019 Hyundai Ioniq is a super-smart and stylish hatchback with a variety of engine options and tech features, all combined in a slick package. Are you a professional on the lookout for a sharp sedan that gives you a smooth, easy ride to work every day? Do you have a young family and are looking for the ideal midsize car for all occasions? The 2019 Hyundai Ioniq is definitely worth considering.
Read on to learn the following about the 2019 Hyundai Ioniq:
Key Specs & Features
- The 2019 Hyundai Ioniq comes with a choice of hybrid and electric powerplants. The standard engine is a hybrid power unit comprised of a 1.6L four-cylinder petrol engine mated to a six-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission alongside a lithium-ion battery-powered electric motor. Together the power unit is good for 139 hp.
- Two other key engine choices are available as well. The first is the plug-in hybrid variant, which uses the same power unit as the regular 1.6L hybrid version but with a larger battery on the electric motor — this enables extra range during electric-only operation. The second is a fully-electric variant, using an 88-kW electric motor mated to a 28-kW lithium-ion battery. Total power output in this configuration is around 118 hp.
- The 2019 Hyundai Ioniq is front-wheel-drive across the board, with start-stop technology implemented on the petrol engine parts of the hybrid powertrains.
- The 2019 Hyundai Ioniq focuses on three trim levels across its range of powerplants: the base trim, also known as the Blue on the regular hybrid model, the mid-range SEL, available only on the regular hybrid model, and the top-of-the-range Limited, which can come with any of the Ioniq's powerplants.
- Even on the base model, the 2019 Hyundai Ioniq comes with an excellent selection of tech features to help make the driving experience as simple and effortless as possible. For example, the standard Blue trim has features such as dual-zone automatic climate control, keyless entry and ignition, a rearview camera, touchscreen interface, and USB/Bluetooth® connectivity, which all come standard!
5 Reasons To Buy
1. Great selection of engines
As outlined already, the selection of different hybrid and electric powertrains means you'll be able to find an option that perfectly suits your traveling needs while still allowing you to live a more eco-conscious lifestyle. The hybrid powerplant is the most conventional choice while the electric variant offers a full-electric driving experience; the plug-in hybrid is a great bridge between the two.
2. Excellent fuel economy whatever the engine choice
Starting with the regular 2019 Ioniq Hybrid, this combination can achieve an EPA-estimated 55 mpg combined and even get an estimated 58 mpg combined when paired with the Blue trim — both use the 1.6L four-cylinder hybrid powerplant.1 The plug-in hybrid variant offers an EPA-estimated 52 mpg combined when running just on the petrol engine, or an estimated 119 mpg-equivalent combined when running on a combination of petrol and electric motors.1
3. Lots of tech features available
The 2019 Hyundai Ioniq is certainly not lacking in the features department — especially for those wanting a high-tech driving experience. You and your passengers won't be lacking for comfort or in-car entertainment options, with features like Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ integration, HD satellite radio, driver information and touchscreen displays, and Bluetooth/USB connectivity, all available on the base model. The SEL and Limited trims also add plenty of driving aids and comfort options inside. Whatever you require from your driving, the 2019 Hyundai Ioniq has the features list and options for you.
4. Ease of driving
Thanks to such extensive options and features, the 2019 Hyundai Ioniq is a car you can use with peace of mind. Such a daunting list of tech features can feel intimidating, but you don't have to worry about that here — the controls are easily laid out to use, the driver seat is height-adjustable to match your comfort requirements, and a mix of voice control and simple device integration for smartphones makes the 2019 Hyundai Ioniq a breeze to drive.
5. Plenty of cargo space
For a hatchback, you might not expect a huge amount of storage capacity but the 2019 Hyundai Ioniq begs to differ. The 2019 Hyundai Ioniq plug-in hybrid and electric variants come with roughly 23 cubic-ft. of luggage volume, with the regular 2019 Hyundai Ioniq hybrid having slightly more space for storage at an approximate 27 cubic-ft. of luggage volume.
What You Need To Know
2019 Hyundai Ioniq Trim Levels
The trim levels differ subtly across the three different powertrains, so let's look at the options available for each one.
The regular hybrid Ioniq is available in three trim levels — Blue, SEL and Limited.
- The base Blue trim comes standard with 15-inch alloy wheels, keyless entry and ignition, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone compatibility, height-adjustable front seats and split-folding rear seats, a rear-facing camera, touchscreen interface featuring Bluetooth, a USB port, and satellite/HD radio.
- Moving up to the mid-tier SEL trim, features like a heated and power-adjustable driver seat, blind-spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, lane departure and collision mitigation systems, and automatic emergency braking are added to the list.
- The top-line Limited package adds 17-inch alloy wheels, xenon headlights, leather seats, LED interior lighting, and a sunroof.
The plug-in hybrid and electric variants of the 2019 Hyundai Ioniq can come with one of two trim levels — the base trim, and the Limited package.
- The base trimincludes the features offered at the Blue trim level and adds 16-inch alloy wheels, automatic headlights, push-button start, and exclusively to the electric variant is Hyundai's Blue Link telematics system.
- The Limited trim combines the features of the hybrid Ioniq's SEL and Limited trims and adds driver-seat memory settings and optional wireless device charging, an upgraded eight-inch touchscreen with navigation functions, and an eight-speaker Infinity audio system.
The 2019 Hyundai Ioniq is available in the following colors:
- Black Noir Pearl
- Ceramic White
- Intense Blue
- Scarlet Red Pearl
- Summit Gray
- Symphony Air Silver
The 2019 Toyota Prius comes standard across the range with a hybrid powertrain comprising of a 1.8L four-cylinder engine and a pair of electric generator motors, giving a combined total output of a manufacturer-quoted 121hp from new. The power is sent as standard through a continuously variable transmission (CVT) and is front-wheel-drive, though optional all-wheel-drive is available on the AWD-e model. The 2019 Prius is also definitely not skimping on capacity either, with an approximate 27 cubic-ft. of luggage volume and an an approximate 91 cubic-ft of passenger volume. Both the Hyundai Ioniq and Toyota Prius are excellent hybrid midsize cars - you won't lose out no matter which one you pick.
The Bottom Line
What makes the 2019 Hyundai Ioniq such a compelling option for your next midsize hatchback is simple: options. Options on what powerplant suits you best and what features you want to make use of, all in a sleek hatchback package.
Looking to learn more about the 2019 Hyundai Ioniq? Check out these related resources:
1Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates when vehicles sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov for details.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.