Used BMW 540 for Sale
About the BMW 540
The BMW 5 Series is a midsize luxury sedan with seating for five and a variety of robust engine options. Along with its seventh generation, the 5 Series debuted with two new trims for the 2017 model year: the base 530i and the top-tier 540i. A diesel-powered version of the 540i, known as the 540d, was also offered exclusively for the 2018 model year.
If you're looking to treat yourself to a luxurious BMW, be sure to check out a used 540i or 540d for yourself. Both offer generous standard features, including a turbocharged engine, leather upholstery, a built-in navigation system, and selectable driving modes on the 2018 model. Overall, the BMW 540 is an excellent choice if you're shopping for a car that's as elegant as it is thrilling to drive.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.
Q: What is the difference between a BMW 530i and 540i?
A: The 530i is the base trim offered on the seventh generation BMW 5 Series (2017-2020), whereas the 540i is positioned as the top-tier trim; on its 2018 model, the 540i offers distinct features, including leather upholstery. It is also equipped with a more powerful turbocharged 3.0L V6 engine versus the 2018 530i's turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder.
Q: What engine does a BMW 540i have?
A: Every BMW 540i comes with a twin-turbo 3.0L V6 engine.
Q: Does the BMW 540 have Apple CarPlay®?
A: Beginning with the 2018 model year, the BMW 540i and 540d both come standard with Apple CarPlay.
Q: Is the BMW 540 a sedan or wagon?
A: The BMW 540 is a five-passenger midsize sedan.
BMW 540 Trim Configurations
The BMW 540i trim debuted for the 2017 model year, offering a twin-turbo 3.0L V6 engine at 335 hp, as well as a standard eight-speed automatic transmission and rear-wheel drive. BMW's xDrive all-wheel drive system is optional.
Standard features on the 2018 540i include:
- Leather upholstery
- 18-inch wheels
- 10.2-inch touchscreen interface
- Built-in navigation system with voice controls
- Automatic dual-zone climate control
For the 2018 model year, BMW also offered a diesel-powered version for the 540. Featuring a twin turbo 3.0L diesel V6 and standard all-wheel drive, the 2018 540d is similarly equipped to the 2018 540i.
Reviews for BMW 540
The ultimate driving machine
great ride, lots of useful tech. I’ve owned a few other luxury cars and I didn’t realize how much I missed bmw until now. this newer series feels like a return to what we all know and love about the brand. G30’s are great.
- Ride and Handling: handles like a performance car
- Cabin Noise: min road noise
- Technology and Entertainment: self parking and built in WiFi
- Cargo Space: trunk could be bigger. mine has the full size spare pkg and limits my space.
- Cost to Maintain: I thought 100 for an oil change was expensive until I went to my local BMW for one… yes there are higher costs but it’s a superior vehicle. even when factoring those in, it’s not that bad. like anything if u take care and treat it right u will have years of driving fun.
- Interior Space: it’s knit picky but there’s not a convenient spot as the driver to put your phone.
Nice combination of style and power.
The car is a head turner and with less than 35,000 at purchase, it came at a great price.
- Ride and Handling: responsive
- Cabin Noise: relatively quiet
- Cost to Maintain: The interactive headlight was covered by the warranty. Would have been almost $3,000 in out of pocket costs to replace. Did I mention the extended warranty?
- Fuel Economy: Premium gas ain’t cheap.
First BMW a Great One
Matt at Carmax said this was a great car and he was very right! Feel of the road as a driver and car responds well. Tons of space with seats down. Road trips are a pleasure.
- Power: Acceleration spot on!
- Seat Comfort: As a passenger, not as comfortable as when the driver.
This price does not include tax, title, and tags. Additional fees may also apply depending on the state of purchase.