Used BMW Z4 for Sale
2020 BMW Z4 M40I
Available at your store CarMax Dulles, VA
2020 BMW Z4 M40I
$199 Shipping from CarMax Potomac Mills, VA
About the BMW Z4
The BMW Z4 is a subset of the iconic BMW Z-line of roadsters; specifically, the Z4 was first released in 2002 and is still in production with the Z-line's sixth generation (2018-present). Since its inception, the Z4 has been known for its powerful engines, sporty design, and impeccable handling. Between its two most recent generations, trim and engine configurations have changed a bit—and the Z4 is no longer offered as a hard-top convertible, but a soft-top instead.
With seating for two, this classic roadster is a great choice for those wanting all the fun of a convertible sports car without sacrificing comfort and luxury in the process.
Unless otherwise noted, information relating to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.
BMW Z4 Trim Configurations
Fifth Generation (2009-2016)
The fifth generation BMW Z4 (2009-2016) is offered in three trim configurations. Some trims also have available package add-ons, such as the Cold Weather package, Sport package, and Technology package. The following outlined features are based on the 2014 model year unless otherwise noted.
BMW Z4 sDrive28i
- 2.0L turbocharged four-cylinder engine at 240 horsepower
- 17-inch wheels
- Bluetooth® connectivity
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Leatherette vinyl upholstery
BMW Z4 sDrive35i
- 3.0L turbocharged V6 engine at 240 horsepower
- Larger 18-inch wheels
- True leather upholstery with sun reflection
- Sport seats with thigh support and adjustable side bolsters
BMW Z4 sDrive35is
- 3.0L turbocharged V6 engine at 335 horsepower
- Lowered suspension
- Sport steering wheel
- Premium sound system
Sixth Generation (2018-Present)
The sixth-generation BMW Z4 (2018-present) is available in a single trim configuration, but several package add-ons are available as well—and BMW has announced that the 2020 Z4 will have an additional trim known as the sDrive M40i. Current package add-ons include the Convenience package and Driving Assistance package. Features outlined below are specific to the 2019 model year.
BMW Z4 sDrive30i
- 18-inch wheels with performance tires
- Black soft-top roof with wind deflector
- 14-way power sport seats with memory settings
- Simulated leather upholstery
- Smartphone integration and 10.25-inch touchscreen interface
Q: Did BMW discontinue the Z4?
A: No, the Z4 is still in production as of the 2019 model year, and BMW is currently developing the 2020 Z4. There was a brief gap in production in between the fifth generation (2009-2016) and sixth generation (2018-present), however.
Q: What does the Z in Z4 mean?
A: The Z stands for "zukunft," which is German for "future."
Q: Where is the BMW Z4 made?
A: While older generations of the BMW Z4 were made in Greer, South Carolina, all Z4s from the 2009 model year on have been made in Germany.
Q: Does the BMW Z4 have a turbo?
A: Yes, all BMW Z4s come standard with a turbocharged engine. The 2014 Z4, for example, is equipped with a 2.0L turbo at 240 horsepower in its base sDrive28i trim. For comparison, the 2019 Z4 comes with a 2.0L turbo at 255 horsepower in its base sDrive30i trim.
Q: Is the BMW Z4 a hardtop convertible?
A: A hardtop roof convertible was standard on all fifth generation BMW Z4s (2009-2016). For the sixth generation (2018-present), however, the BMW Z4 is offered only with a soft-top fabric roof.
RepairPal gave the BMW Z4 an overall reliability rating of 3 out of 5 stars, which RepairPal describes as Average. This rating ranks the BMW Z4 14th out of 17 among luxury compact cars.
- Cost RepairPal reports that the average total annual cost for repairs and maintenance on a BMW Z4 is $895, compared to an average of $765 for luxury compact cars and $719 for all the vehicles RepairPal considered in its dataset.
- Frequency According to RepairPal, BMW Z4 owners bring their vehicles into a repair shop for unscheduled repairs an average of 0.7 times per year, compared to an average of 0.7 times for luxury compact cars and 0.5 times for all the vehicle models RepairPal considered in its dataset.
- Severity RepairPal reported that the probability of a repair being a severe or major issue is 16% for the BMW Z4, compared to an average of 12% for luxury compact cars and 13% for all the vehicles RepairPal considered in its dataset.
RepairPal Reliability Ratings are based on the actual cost, frequency, and severity of unscheduled repairs and maintenance on make/model data for select 2010-2019 vehicles. The reliability of a specific vehicle may vary depending on its maintenance and driving history, model year, trim, and features.
*RepairPal Reliability Ratings are provided by RepairPal and CarMax is not responsible for their accuracy. These ratings are based on RepairPal Reliability data as of 12/31/2018. Learn more.
Reviews for BMW Z4
Beautiful little car with great style. Love the way it drives in curves. Very comfortable and lots of legroom for a smaller car. Love the hardtop convertible! It was in near perfect condition when we bought it. No mechanical problems. The only thing I don't care for is the radio/sound system. It is rather weak without much sound. The trunk is small especially when the top is down, but who needs trunk room in this type car?
- Styling: Beautiful style
- Technology and Entertainment: Audio is not so great
Disappointed in representation of vehicle
I love the car. I spent nearly 6 months looking for this specific model and options package. In all the car is great. The experience getting the car and its condition was a different story.
- Power: M package equipped
- Styling: Great model year
- Value: I shipped this car from FL. It was a complete misrepresentation of equipped options and condition of the paint. This is not the locations fault as they were just the destination where I picked it up. The roof has been reclearcoated and has a wrinkle finish due to poor quality. There was a chemical spilled on the hood passenger door and fender that ate the clear coat. The detail of the car had the wrong color touch up used as well as they used touchup on tree sap and bird droppings. Extremely poor. The car was listed with a higher sound and bluetooth package, turned out they never actually checked it. When I took delivery it had no bluetooth.
- Technology and Entertainment: I shipped this vehicle across the country being told it had a package it did not.
Why Ride When YOU Can Drive?
If you usually go it alone or with one passenger, why choose a sedan or suv? Boring, predictable and how do your from all the others? When is the last time someone said nice ride or what is it? I’m at a point in my life when I can enjoy driving and enjoy the trip, short or long. My Z4 is a roadster - alone or with a passenger the ride is sleek, fast, road hugging and FUN! When did you say that about what you are driving, if ever? Hard top convertible, 4 cyl turbo with 34 mpg - it’s a winner.
- Ride and Handling:
- Fuel Economy:
- Cabin Noise:
This price does not include tax, title, and tags. Additional fees may also apply depending on the state of purchase.