When it comes to high-performance cars, BMW is a well-known name. When BMW released a high-performance version of the already popular BMW 4 Series in 2015, it was no surprise that this luxury sports car quickly became a top seller. With a powerful engine and plenty of customization options, the BMW M4
is a great choice.
The BMW M4 has only been in production since 2015, so it’s still in its first generation. This two-door vehicle is largely based on BMW’s previous performance version of the M3 series.
Across all model years, 2015 through 2018, the BMW M4 engine remains the same: a turbocharged 3.0-liter V6 with 425 horsepower. This engine is standard across all configurations of the vehicle except for those with the Competition Package, which sees an engine with a higher output in terms of BMW M4 horsepower at 444.
The BMW M4 is well-appointed across all model years, though some of the most notable differences from year to year are seen in the standard features offered. For example, for the 2016 model year, the M4 received keyless entry/ignition as well as satellite radio as standard features. In 2017, the M4 received a new package—the Competition Package—as well as a standard adaptive suspension. Feature-wise, the 2018 BMW M4 remains largely unchanged aside from an updated infotainment system and a standard rearview camera.
The 2015 through 2016 model years give you the option of two configurations with a few different customization packages, including:
- Coupe or Convertible - this two-door, four-passenger vehicle is available in a coupe or convertible body style to suit your needs.
- Executive Package- includes keyless entry and ignition, a heated steering wheel, satellite radio, and front/rear parking sensors.
- Lighting Package - includes adaptive LED headlights and automatic high beams.
- Driver Assistance Package- includes lane-departure warning, blind-spot monitoring, frontal collision warning, and unique top/side view cameras as well as automatic braking.
For the 2017 through 2018 model years, the body styles and configurations are similar but with a few added features; 2017 is also the first year the Competition Package was introduced.
- Coupe or Convertible - this two-door, four-passenger vehicle is available in a coupe or convertible body style to suit your needs. The coupe comes with your choice of carbon-fiber reinforced plastic roof or steel roof with an included sunroof. The convertible offers a power-retractable hardtop with a wind blocker.
- Executive Package - includes top-view cameras and an automated parking system. Those who opted for the BMW M4 convertible body style over the BMW M4 coupe will also enjoy front-seat neck warmers with this package.
- Competition Package - larger 20-inch wheels, a sportier exhaust, and a revised adaptive suspension. This package also comes with a more powerful BMW M4 engine at 444 horsepower and some minor interior upgrades.
- Lighting Package - this package is unchanged for the 2017-2018 model years with features including adaptive LED headlights and automatic high beams.
- Driver Assistance Plus Package - includes lane-departure warning, blind-spot monitoring, frontal collision warning, and unique top/side view cameras as well as automatic braking.