An iconic truck-based SUV that's built to explore.
A fixture on beaches and trails since the late 1980s and with original roots that date back to WWII, the Jeep Wrangler has made a name for itself as a one-of-a-kind 4x4 SUV with heroic off-road capability and classic throwback styling. Jeep Wrangler models offer a wide selection of powertrain options, body styles, and soft- and hardtop possibilities to up the Wrangler's open-air fun. If you're looking for the ultimate adventure machine, the Wrangler is exactly that.
While we currently do not have many 2020 Jeep Wranglers on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. If you love the 2020 model, you should also consider prior model years of the with similar features.
Below are average prices of prior model year Jeep Wranglers at CarMax.1
Here's what you'll learn in this 2020 Jeep Wrangler review:
2020 Jeep Wrangler: Key Specs and Features
- The 2020 Jeep Wrangler with AWD, 3.6L V6 engine with engine stop-start (ESS), and manual transmission (two-door versions) gets an EPA-estimated 20 mpg combined.2
- The 2020 Jeep Wrangler with AWD, 3.6L V6 engine with ESS, and manual transmission (four-door versions) gets an EPA-estimated 19 mpg combined.2
- The 2020 Jeep Wrangler with AWD, 3.6L V6 engine with ESS, and automatic transmission (two- and four-door versions) gets an EPA-estimated 20 mpg combined.2
- The 2020 Jeep Wrangler with AWD, 3.6L V6 engine with eTorque mild-hybrid assist, and automatic transmission (four-door versions) gets an EPA-estimated 20 mpg combined.2
- The 2020 Jeep Wrangler with AWD, 2.0L four-cylinder with ESS, and automatic transmission (two-door versions) gets an EPA-estimated 23 mpg combined.2
- The 2020 Jeep Wrangler with AWD, 2.0L four-cylinder with ESS, and automatic transmission (four-door versions) gets an EPA-estimated 21 mpg combined.2
- The 2020 Jeep Wrangler with AWD, 2.0L four-cylinder with eTorque mild-hybrid assist, and automatic transmission (four-door versions) gets an EPA-estimated 21 mpg combined.2
- The 2020 Jeep Wrangler with AWD, 3.0L EcoDiesel V6 with ESS, and automatic transmission (four-door versions) gets an EPA-estimated 25 mpg combined.2
- The 2020 Wrangler offers 31.7 cubic feet of cargo volume behind the second row.
- Folding the rear seat expands cargo volume to 72.4 cubic feet.
- Jeep Wrangler towing capacity is an estimated 3,500 lbs. with the 3.6L V6, 3.0L V6 diesel, and 2.0L four-cylinder engines on 2020 models when properly equipped.3
- Two-door versions of the 2020 Wrangler accommodate four passengers.
- Four-door versions offer seating for five passengers.
- Pentastar® 3.6L V6 with six-speed manual transmission (standard)
- Pentastar 3.6L V6 with eight-speed automatic transmission (optional)
- Pentastar 3.6L V6 with mild-hybrid eTorque assist and eight-speed automatic transmission (optional)
- 2.0L four-cylinder with eight-speed automatic transmission (optional)
- 2.0L four-cylinder with mild-hybrid eTorque assist and eight-speed automatic transmission (optional)
- 3.0L EcoDiesel V6 with eight-speed automatic transmission (optional, mid-2020 availability)
- Uconnect® 3 with five-inch display (Sport and Sport S trims)
- Uconnect 4 with seven-inch display (Sahara® and Rubicon® trims)
- Uconnect 4C NAV with 8.4-inch display (optional on Sahara and Rubicon trims)
- Rearview camera with dynamic gridlines (standard)
- Center console USB (standard)
The Jeep Wrangler has a strong sales history at CarMax. It has been featured in these ranking lists:
5 Reasons to Buy
1. Open-air Experience
The 2020 Jeep Wrangler gives you many roof options to let you feel the wind through your hair. A Sunrider® Soft Top comes standard on all 2020 models and features a zipperless design that's easy to glide open with spring-loaded support bars. But, if you want an open-air experience, the optional three-piece Freedom Top® Modular Hardtop can be partially or fully removed depending on your preference and the weather. A Sky One-touch Power Top is also available (Sahara and Rubicon four-door versions only) and lets you enjoy the sunshine with the push of a button.
2. Confident Off-roader
If your ideal day involves climbing over rocky terrain or slicing through sand dunes with the top and doors off, the 2020 Wrangler Rubicon is a mighty trail master. Available in two- and four-door body styles, the Rubicon tackles wild territory while riding on 17-inch wheels and heavy-duty front and rear axles with shorter gearing. Electric front and rear locking differentials and a disconnecting front sway bar also come standard, helping the Wrangler maximize its off-road capability.
3. Powertrain Options
Whether you are looking for a fun beach cruiser or a serious off-roader, the 2020 Wrangler is available with several powertrain options to suit your lifestyle. A 285-hp 3.6L V6 comes standard with a six-speed manual transmission or an optional eight-speed automatic, or you can opt for the available turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder with 270 hp and an eight-speed automatic transmission. Both variants offer a mild-hybrid eTorque system on 2020 Sahara trim levels to enhance fuel economy and energy-generation functions. A 3.0L V6 EcoDiesel will come available on mid-2020 models and deliver 260 hp and 442 lb-ft of torque.
4. Head-turning Looks
With names like Bikini, Hella Yella, and Firecracker Red, the 2020 Wrangler lets you match your personality to a rainbow of 11 fun and vibrant exterior colors. Soft- and hardtop roof options are also available in black, tan, and body-color choices, depending on the trim you choose, while the interior includes black and tan options in cloth and leather. The addition of bold wheel designs and iconic Wrangler styling gives you the look that you want with the utility that you need.
5. Built for Fun
As a truck-based SUV, the 2020 Jeep Wrangler has the solid foundation you need to tackle the toughest conditions. All models feature a strong body made from high-strength steel paired with aluminum, making the Wrangler lighter in weight while still providing a very strong chassis. The body-on-frame is also well suited for trail-blazing adventures, plus the Wrangler's 3.6L V6, 3.0L V6 diesel, and 2.0L four-cylinder engines can tow an estimated 3,500 lbs. when properly equipped.3
What You Need to Know
- Sport (two- and four-door versions): Includes 17-inch steel low-gloss black wheels, front and rear tow hooks, cloth upholstery, Uconnect 3 with five-inch touchscreen display, rearview monitor, and more.
- Sport S (two- and four-door versions): Adds 17-inch aluminum tech silver metallic wheels, leather-wrapped steering wheel, air conditioning, power windows and locks with keyless entry, automatic headlamps, and more.
- Sahara (four-door version only): Adds 18-inch polished aluminum wheels with painted granite crystal spokes, side steps, Uconnect 4 with seven-inch touchscreen display, Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ capabilities, and more.
- Rubicon (two- and four-door versions): Adds full-framed removable doors, performance suspension system, cloth upholstery with Rubicon logo and red accent stitching, dual-zone automatic climate control, push-button start, and more.
2020 Jeep Wrangler: Available Colors
- Billet Silver
- Bright White
- Firecracker Red
- Granite Crystal
- Hella Yella
- Ocean Blue Metallic
- Punk'n Metallic
- Sarge Green (late availability in 2020)
- Sting Gray
2020 Jeep Wrangler: Interior
- Maximum cargo volume is 72.4 cubic feet.
- Two-door versions seat four passengers; four-door versions seat five passengers.
- Cloth upholstery comes standard on Sport and Sport S trims.
- Premium cloth upholstery comes standard on Sahara and Rubicon trims (leather upholstery is optional).
- LED front and rear cupholders come standard.
2020 Jeep Wrangler: Average CarMax Prices1
The 2020 Jeep Wrangler is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. See below for average CarMax prices for previous model years of the Jeep Wrangler.
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2020 Jeep Wrangler, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
Safety and Reliability
RepairPal® Reliability Ratings for the 2020 Jeep Wrangler4
The 2020 Jeep Wrangler is a newer model and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. You may also consider other used Jeep Wranglers with similar features. Below are RepairPal reliability ratings for prior model years of the Jeep Wrangler.
- Overall RepairPal Reliability Rating - 3.5/5.0
- Average annual cost of unscheduled repairs and maintenance: $695.00
RepairPal Reliability Ratings are based on the actual cost, frequency, and severity of unscheduled repairs and maintenance on make/model data for select 2010–2019 vehicles. The reliability of a specific vehicle may vary depending on its maintenance and driving history, model year, trim, and features. Learn more at www.carmax.com/repairpal-reliability.
NHTSA Safety Ratings: 2020 Jeep Wrangler
The 2020 Jeep Wrangler is currently not rated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2020 Jeep Wrangler, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
Great for highway driving or booting around town, the Jeep Renegade is a subcompact crossover SUV with an agile design and comfortable interior. 2017–2019 models are available in four trims, including an off-road-oriented Trailhawk with standard four-wheel drive and a raised suspension. The Renegade also sports a classic Jeep appearance with a vertical-duct, stylish grille, and circular headlights. If you're looking for a more premium experience, the Limited trim will impress with these standard features (2017–2019 models):
- 18-inch aluminum wheels
- Leather upholstery
- Heated front seats
- Dual-zone automatic temperature control
If you're shopping for a comfortable small SUV that can handle city commuting and country roads, the Jeep Compass is a versatile choice. All 2017–2019 models run off a 2.4L four-cylinder engine (180 hp, 175 lb-ft of torque) with optional all-wheel drive, except the off-road Trailhawk, which comes standard with all-wheel drive. Ride comfort in the Compass is also very good with a touring-tuned suspension system that soaks up road imperfections for a smoother experience. The base Sport trim boasts some nice conveniences on 2017–2019 models, making this SUV well-suited for short and long trips:
- Air conditioning
- Bluetooth® connectivity
- Six-speaker sound system
- Uconnect system with touchscreen display
With space for seven passengers with its optional third row, the Toyota 4Runner is a roomy and capable midsize SUV for families that like to get out and explore. A 4.0L V6 and a five-speed automatic transmission anchors the 2017–2019 4Runner and makes 270 hp and 278 lb-ft of torque. An integrated tow-hitch receiver and a wiring harness also come standard on all 2017–2019 models, allowing the SUV and its 4.0L engine to tow an estimated 5,000 lbs. when properly equipped.3 If you're looking for the right mix of off-road capability and high-end features, you'll want to check out the TRD Off-Road Premium, which includes the following standard features on 2017–2019 4Runner models:
- Power tilt/slide moonroof with sunshade
- SofTex®-trimmed, heated front seats
- Locking rear differential
- Multi-terrain Select and Crawl Control
The Bottom Line
Whether you're looking to cruise through sand dunes with the top and doors off or seek thrills on back-country trails, the 2020 Wrangler provides the daring off-road capability, powertrain options, and classic Jeep styling that you want. All you'll need to worry about is mastering the official “Jeep Wave."
Looking to learn more? Check out these related sources:
1Based on CarMax average prices from December 2019. Actual prices may vary based on your selected model year, features and trim packages. Prices do not include tax, title, tags, and any applicable fees.
2Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates for when vehicle sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov.
3Various factors may impact towing capacity, including weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories.
4RepairPal Reliability Ratings are provided by RepairPal and CarMax is not responsible for their accuracy. Learn more at repairpal.com/reliability Learn more at repairpal.com/reliability.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks ™ or registered ® trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.