Sleek, comfortable, and versatile.
The 2021 Honda CR-V is a multi-faceted SUV with a sleek exterior and comfortable cabin that's functional beyond measure. With two engine options to choose from, including a hybrid powertrain, and available all-wheel drive, you can choose a CR-V with the performance and capability you need. With plenty of space for family, friends, and cargo, this SUV is practical for a range of lifestyles, plus it's a joy to drive.
While we currently do not have many 2021 Honda CR-Vs on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. If you love the 2021 model, you should also consider prior model years of the Honda CR-V with similar features.
Here's what you'll learn in this 2021 Honda CR-V review:
Key Specs and Features:
- The 2021 Honda CR-V with FWD, 1.5L engine, and automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 30 mpg combined.1
- The 2021 Honda CR-V with AWD, 1.5L engine, and automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 29 mpg combined.1
- The 2021 Honda CR-V Hybrid with AWD, 2.0L engine and two electric motors, and automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 38 mpg combined.1
- 39.2 cu-ft of cargo volume behind second-row seats (gas models)
- 75.8 cu-ft of cargo volume behind front-row seats (gas models)
- 33.2 cu-ft of cargo volume behind second-row seats (hybrid models)
- 68.7 cu-ft of cargo volume behind front-row seats (hybrid models)
- The Honda CR-V's towing capacity is an estimated 1,500 lbs. with the 1.5L turbocharged four-cylinder on 2021 models, when properly equipped.2
- The Honda CR-V Hybrid's towing capacity is an estimated 1,500 lbs. with the 2.0L four-cylinder gas engine and two electric motors on 2021 models, when properly equipped.2
- Five-passenger seating
- Standard 1.5L turbocharged four-cylinder with 190 hp and 179 lb-ft of torque
- Available hybrid 2.0L four-cylinder and two electric motors with 212 total system hp and 232 lb-ft of torque (only on EX, EX-L, and Touring)
- Multi-angle rearview camera
- Lane-keeping assistance
- Blind-spot monitoring with cross-traffic alert (only on EX, EX-L, and Touring)
- Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ capabilities (only on EX, EX-L, and Touring)
- Navigation with voice recognition (only on Touring)
The Honda CR-V has a strong sales history at CarMax. It has been featured in these ranking lists:
- 2nd - Best Small and Compact SUVs (2020)
- 7th - Most Reliable SUVs (2020)
- 1st - Best Used SUVs Under $30K (2020)
- 3rd - Best Used SUVs (2020)
- 4th - Best AWD and 4WD SUVs (2020)
5 Reasons to Buy
1. Comfortable Cabin
The 2021 CR-V has a roomy cabin that accommodates five passengers quite comfortably, including adults. The front seats provide good support and cushioning for longer trips, while the rear seatbacks recline for added adjustability. With 40.4 inches of rear-seat legroom, taller passengers will appreciate the 2021 CR-V's stretch-out space. The wide front and rear door openings also provide plenty of clearance to easily enter and exit the cabin or buckle children into car seats. Heated front seats (EX and higher), leather upholstery (EX-L and higher), and a moonroof (EX and higher) enhance this SUV's upscale atmosphere.
2. Enticing Engines
If you're shopping for a small SUV that's powerful yet frugal, the CR-V's engine options will leave you impressed. A 190-hp 1.5L turbocharged four-cylinder comes standard on all 2021 models and returns an EPA-estimated 28 mpg city and 34 mpg highway with front-wheel drive.1 There's also an available hybrid powertrain on the 2021 model (EX and higher trims). With the 2.0L four-cylinder engine and two electric motors, the 2021 Honda CR-V Hybrid achieves an EPA-estimated 40 mpg city and 38 mpg highway with all-wheel drive – an excellent choice for high-mileage commuting.1 Both engines pair to a continuously variable transmission that earns top marks for its smooth delivery.
3. Compliant Ride
A hallmark of the 2021 CR-V is the SUV's smooth and quiet ride. Whether driving over rough surfaces or slicing into sharp turns, the CR-V remains connected to the road with its composed handling and precise steering. The available Real Time AWD™ system also inspires confidence to power through challenging weather conditions. For trips both long and short, the 2021 CR-V delivers a comfortable on-road experience that you and your passengers won't be quick to forget.
4. Plenty of Cargo Space
The 2021 Honda CR-V has a generous cargo area that swallows up camping gear, luggage, and more. With all seats in place, you'll have 39.2 cu-ft of storage, but stowing the second row expands capacity to 75.8 cu ft (gas models). The easy fold-down 60/40-split rear seatbacks offer a variety of configurations to accommodate whoever or whatever you're transporting that day. Throughout the cabin, the 2021 CR-V also boasts many nooks and crannies to store smaller items, including a deep center console with a sliding tray to conceal valuables.
5. Driver-Focused Tech
Plentiful driver aids on the 2021 CR-V provide peace of mind when transporting your most precious cargo. EX and higher trims include a blind-spot information system that offers extra assistance when changing lanes, while the cross-traffic monitor uses sensors to detect vehicles approaching from the side while you're in reverse. There's a standard multi-angle rearview camera that enhances visibility with normal, top-down, and wide views. The 2021 Honda CR-V Touring also includes a navigation system with voice recognition, so you can find your way without taking your eyes off the road.
What You Need to Know
2021 Honda CR-V: Available Trims
- LX: Includes 17-inch alloy wheels, automatic climate control, six-way manually-adjustable driver seat, five-inch color display, Bluetooth® phone and audio connectivity, and more.
- EX: Adds 18-inch alloy wheels, heated front seats, moonroof, seven-inch touchscreen display, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capabilities, and more.
- EX-L: Adds leather-trimmed seats, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, a power tailgate with programmable height, eight-speaker audio system, four-way power-adjustable front passenger seat, and more.
- Touring: Adds 19-inch alloy wheels, a power tailgate with hands-free access, navigation system with voice recognition, nine-speaker audio system, wireless phone charger, and more.
2021 Honda CR-V: Available Colors
- Aegean Blue (EX, EX-L, Touring)
- Crystal Black Pearl
- Lunar Silver
- Modern Steel
- Obsidian Blue Pearl
- Platinum White Pearl (Premium Color)
- Radiant Red (Premium Color)
- Sonic Gray Pearl (Premium Color; EX, EX-L, Touring)
2021 Honda CR-V: Interior
- Seating for five passengers
- 75.8 cu-ft of maximum cargo volume (gas models)
- Heated front seats (EX and higher trims)
- Easy fold-down 60/40-split rear seatbacks
- Rear-seat heater ducts
2021 Honda CR-V: Average CarMax Prices
The 2021 Honda CR-V is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. See below for average CarMax prices for previous model years of the Honda CR-V.
- 2012 — Average prices less than $14,500 3
- 2013 — Average prices less than $15,000 3
- 2014 — Average prices less than $16,000 3
- 2015 — Average prices less than $18,000 3
- 2016 — Average prices less than $19,500 3
- 2017 — Average prices less than $23,500 3
- 2018 — Average prices less than $25,000 3
- 2019 — Average prices less than $27,500 3
- 2020 — Average prices less than $32,500 3
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2021 Honda CR-V, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
The 2021 Honda CR-V received an overall 5/5 rating by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2021 Honda CR-V, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
The Toyota RAV4 is a small SUV with plentiful cabin space for up to five passengers and their belongings. 2017–2018 models include 38.4 cu-ft of volume behind the second row for groceries, golf clubs, and more, while fifth-generation models (2019 and newer) boast 37.5 cu-ft of capacity. With 60/40-split second-row seats in 2017–2019 models, the RAV4 is very versatile for transporting larger items. This utility is matched by a proficient 2.5L four-cylinder engine on 2017–2019 models, which is available with all-wheel drive for added capability. Standard features on the 2017–2019 RAV4 XLE include:
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Power tilt/slide moonroof with sunshade
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- Six-way adjustable driver seat
- Lane departure alert system
If you're shopping for an SUV that can gear up and go, the Ford Escape is a compact SUV that craves excitement. 2017–2019 models start with a base 168-hp 2.5L four-cylinder engine, but if you need extra passing power, the available 2.0L turbocharged four-cylinder is gutsy with 245 hp and 275 lb-ft of torque. The 2.0L engine can also tow an estimated 3,500 lbs. of ATVs, dirt bikes, or snowmobiles, so your toys can join in the fun (2017–2019 models, when properly equipped).2 In the city, the Escape's compact footprint and car-like handling make it ideal for commuting or running errands. 2017–2019 Escape SE models come standard with:
- 17-inch aluminum wheels
- Fog lamps
- Dual chrome exhaust tips
- Dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control
- 10-way power driver's seat with power lumbar and recline
The Mazda CX-5 is a five-passenger SUV that blends lively handling with a quiet cabin, along with many comforts and conveniences. 2017–2019 models come standard with a 187-hp 2.5L four-cylinder engine, or you can find 2019 CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve and Signature trims with a more potent turbocharged version of the same engine that makes 250 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque. Inside the cabin, your passengers will love the supportive seats that cradle the body through turns, while the rear seatbacks recline for added comfort. All models also include a seven-inch touchscreen display and a Mazda Connect™ infotainment system. Other standard features on the 2017–2019 CX-5 Touring include:
- Leatherette seats
- Six-way power-adjustable driver seat
- Heated front seats with three-level adjustment
- Six-speaker audio system
- Two rear USB ports
The Bottom Line
The 2021 Honda CR-V is an ideal SUV if you're looking for a comfortable cabin with plenty of space for passengers and belongings. With two fuel-sipping powertrains to choose from, including a hybrid version and available all-wheel drive, the CR-V is practical for daily travel, whether commuting to the office or enjoying special trips.
Looking to learn more? Check out these related articles:
- 10 Best Small and Compact SUVs for 2020
- 15 Most Reliable SUVs for 2020
- 5 Best Used SUVs Under $30K
- 10 Best Used SUVs for 2020
- 10 Best AWD and 4WD SUVs for 2020 Shoppers
1 Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates for when vehicle sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov.
2Various factors may impact towing capacity, including weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories.
3Based on prices on carmax.com from April 9, 2019 through September 10, 2020. Actual prices may vary based on your selected model year, features, and trim packages. Prices do not include taxes, tags, titles, and any applicable fees.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.