Capable compact brings the latest tech.
Looking for a uniquely capable compact car? The 2021 Subaru Impreza has you covered. The Impreza is available in both sedan and hatchback designs and features standard all-wheel drive (AWD). With tons of tech and driver-assistance features, you'll love taking this car on all your driving adventures.
While we currently do not have many 2021 Subaru Imprezas on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. If you love the 2021 model, you should also consider prior model years of the Subaru Impreza with similar features.
Here's what you'll learn in this 2021 Subaru Impreza review:
Key Specs and Features
The 2021 Subaru Impreza comes in both four-door sedan and five-door hatchback models, both using the same 2.0L 4-cylinder engine and standard AWD across all trims.
- The 2021 Impreza four-door sedan gets an EPA-estimated 26 mpg city and 31 mpg highway on 2.0L manual transmission models, and an EPA-estimated 28 mpg city and 36 mpg highway on 2.0L automatic transmission models.1
- The 2021 Impreza four-door Sport model gets an EPA-estimated 27 mpg city and 36 mpg highway on 2.0L automatic transmission models.1
- The 2021 Impreza five-door hatchback gets an EPA-estimated 24 mpg city and 31 mpg highway on 2.0L manual transmission models, and an EPA-estimated 28 mpg city and 36 mpg highway on 2.0L automatic transmission models.1
- The 2021 Impreza five-door Sport model gets an EPA-estimated 22 mpg city and 30 mpg highway on 2.0L manual transmission models, and an EPA-estimated 27 mpg city and 35 mpg highway on 2.0L automatic transmission models.1
- 12.3 cubic feet of cargo space in the four-door Impreza
- 20.8 cubic feet of cargo space in the five-door Impreza
- 55.3 cubic feet of cargo space in the five-door Impreza with the rear seats folded
- Seating for up to five passengers across two rows in both four-door and five-door versions
- All 2021 Imprezas have standard AWD and either a five-speed manual or a continuously variable automatic transmission.
- The 2021 Impreza has a standard 152-hp 2.0L turbocharged four-cylinder across all trims.
- 6.5-inch touchscreen infotainment system (Sport and Limited models feature an eight-inch display)
- Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ integration
- EyeSight® Driver Assist Technology
The Subaru Impreza has a strong sales history at CarMax. It has been featured in this ranking list:
Five Reasons to Buy
1. AWD Capability
It's impossible to talk about the Impreza without discussing its impressive all-wheel drive system. Standard across all trims of the 2021 Impreza, the symmetrical AWD system is designed to deliver stability and traction in a variety of weather conditions. The Impreza's AWD system is steeped in rallying history, giving you the ability to tackle all sorts of conditions and even go off-road, too.
2. Helpful Connected Services
The 2021 Impreza is a compact car with the latest technology. The Subaru STARLINK® system (standard on Premium, Sport, and Limited trims) offers a mix of connected services for you and your passengers. STARLINK includes convenience features like remote engine start, remote climate control, and concierge services to help you find the closest gas station or restaurant.2
3. Tons of Available Features
The 2021 Subaru Impreza comes with loads of standard features. On the base trim, look for great stuff like AWD with vehicle dynamics control, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration, and a rear-vision camera. Premium and Sport trims add even more to the mix, with the trim-topping Limited model adding standard leather seating and LED lighting. Additional features include a Harman Kardon® premium audio system (available on Sport and Limited) and a power moonroof (optional on all trims).
4. Smooth Driving Experience
All 2021 Subaru Imprezas come standard with the latest EyeSight® Driver Assist Technology. The system is designed to monitor traffic around your vehicle and update your cruise control to adapt to other vehicles' speeds along the way. It can even monitor your vehicle's position in the lane, using lane-keep assist to help keep you on the straight and narrow. This makes the Impreza a breeze to drive, whether for your daily commute or a weekend adventure.
5. Choice of Sedan or Hatch
The 2021 Impreza comes in both sedan and hatchback styles, so you can find the right model for your needs. Every trim, from Base to Limited, can be found in either layout. That means you can get 12.3 cubic feet of cargo space in four-door models, or 20.8 cubic feet in five-door models. The five-door even offers up to 55.3 cubic feet of space with the rear seats lowered.
What You Need to Know
- Base: Includes symmetrical AWD, STARLINK multimedia system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration, EyeSight Driver Assist Technology, and a rear-vision camera.
- Premium: Adds 4G LTE Wi-Fi capability and the All-Weather Package with heated front seats.3
- Sport: Unlocks 18-inch alloy wheels, keyless access with push-button start, sport cloth upholstery, eight-inch multimedia display, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter handle, and body-color rocker spoilers and trunk spoiler.
- Limited: Adds to the Premium trim with leather-trimmed upholstery, six-way power driver seat, LED steering-responsive headlights, automatic climate control system, and 17-inch alloy wheels.
- Crimson Red Pearl
- Crystal Black Silica
- Crystal White Pearl
- Dark Blue Pearl
- Ice Silver Metallic
- Lithium Red Pearl
- Magnetite Gray Metallic
- Ocean Blue Pearl
- Standard cloth seating with optional sport cloth upholstery with red contrast stitching (Sport only) and optional leather seating surfaces (Limited only)
- Standard 6.5-inch touchscreen infotainment system; optional eight-inch display
- Seating for five
- 12.3 cubic feet of cargo space (four-door) or 20.8 cubic feet of cargo space (five-door)
Average CarMax Prices
The 2021 Subaru Impreza is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. See below for average CarMax prices for previous model years of the Subaru Impreza.
- 2012 - Average prices less than $16,0004
- 2013 - Average prices less than $14,0004
- 2014 - Average prices less than $15,5004
- 2015 - Average prices less than $15,5004
- 2016 - Average prices less than $16,0004
- 2017 - Average prices less than $17,5004
- 2018 - Average prices less than $18,0004
- 2019 - Average prices less than $18,0004
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2021 Subaru Impreza, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
The 2021 Subaru Impreza received overall 5/5 by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2021 Subaru Impreza, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
Looking for rally-car-bred racing technology in a four-door sedan package? Look no further than the Subaru WRX. With decades of impressive racing performance pedigree, you'll get a standard 268-hp engine and AWD on 2017-2019 WRX models. With the STI trim, you'll get a 305-hp engine (updated to 310 hp for 2019 onward) and a standard six-speed manual. The WRX got a host of updates for the 2018 model year; for the 2018-2019 Subaru WRX, expect standard tech and features such as:
- Cloth upholstery with front sport seats
- 5.9-inch instrument cluster display with a seven-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Bluetooth® connectivity
- Rearview camera
Based on the Civic sedan, the Honda Civic Type R is a hot compact car that comes with a great mix of performance and space. The latest iteration was launched in 2017 and features a 2.0L turbo-four, good for 306 hp, and a six-speed manual transmission that gives you plenty of control when you hit the open road. All 2017 and newer Civic Type R models include these standard features:
- Performance-focused front bucket seats
- 20-inch alloy wheels
- Performance-tuned suspension with adjustable dampers
- Limited-slip differential
- Functional aero kit with a large rear wing
The Subaru Legacy is a full-size sedan that benefits from AWD and a host of great features and options. The 2018-2019 Legacy is available with a 2.5L four-cylinder with 174 horsepower or an optional 3.6L six-cylinder with 256 horsepower. All 2017 and newer Legacy versions have a host of standard equipment, including:
- Cloth upholstery
- 6.2-inch touchscreen or optional seven-inch screen
- Rearview camera
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability (2018 and newer)
The Bottom Line
The 2021 Subaru Impreza boasts AWD capability in a compact package. Available in both four-door sedan and five-door hatchback models in a variety of trim levels, it's easy to find an Impreza to meet your needs.
Looking to learn more? Check out these related articles:
1Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates when vehicles sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov for details.
2Remote start functionality may require the purchase of a subscription plan and/or a compatible device like a smartphone. See the owner's manual or manufacturer website for more information.
3Wi-Fi hotspots require a data plan to activate and may also require a compatible device. See the owner's manual or manufacturer website for more information
4Based on CarMax average prices from January 2, 2019 to June 4, 2020. Actual prices may vary based on your selected model year, features, and trim packages. Prices do not include tax, title, tags, and any applicable fees.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.