A feature-filled sedan or hatchback.
If you're looking for a commuter car that has good mpg and many standard features, the 2020 Toyota Corolla is a great choice. And it's not just practical, it's plenty stylish too. In 2019 a hatchback version was launched and in 2020 the Toyota Corolla sedan was entirely redesigned. The Corolla comes with many standard tech and driver-assist features, and a sporty design inside and out that will no doubt have you adding it to your shortlist.
While we currently do not have many 2020 Toyota Corollas on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. Here's what you'll learn in this 2020 Toyota Corolla review:
Key Specs and Features
- The 2020 Toyota Corolla with the 1.8L four-cylinder engine and automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 33 mpg combined in both sedan and hatchback versions.1
- The 2020 Toyota Corolla with the 2.0L four-cylinder engine and automatic transmission (available on the SE and XSE trims) gets an EPA-estimated 35 mpg as a hatchback and 34 mpg as a sedan.1
- The 2020 Toyota Corolla sedan has 13.1 cubic feet of cargo space.
- The 2020 Toyota Corolla hatchback has 17.8 cubic feet of cargo space.
- The 2020 Toyota Corolla seats five as either a sedan or a hatchback.
- The 2020 Toyota Corolla sedan comes standard with a 139-hp 1.8L four-cylinder engine.
- A 169-hp 2.0L four-cylinder Dynamic Force Engine is standard on SE and XSE models, including all hatchbacks.
- Standard Siri® Eyes Free and Apple CarPlay® (all models); hatchbacks come standard with Android Auto&trade.
- USB ports on all models
- Standard lane departure alert with steering assist, pre-collision system, and more
- Standard automatic high beams
The Toyota Corolla has a strong sales history at CarMax. It has been featured in these ranking lists:
5 Reasons To Buy
1. DRIVER-ASSIST FEATURES
The 2020 Toyota Corolla comes standard with a swathe of driver-assist features that will help get you where you need to go. All models of the 2020 Toyota Corolla sport lane-departure warning with steering assist, a pre-collision system, and road-sign assist. Features like automatic high-beams and adaptive cruise control, both standard in 2020, add a level of convenience to driving the Corolla. Additional driver-assist features, like blind-spot monitoring, are available as options.
2. LOTS OF CARGO SPACE
Sedans may not be the most spacious vehicles, but the Corolla offers plenty of cargo space. Whether you're traveling with sports equipment or a stroller, the 13.1 cubic feet of cargo space in the trunk of the sedan is likely enough. If you need a bit more space, you should opt for the hatchback Corolla, which has 17.8 cubic feet of cargo space, enough to easily load up for a weekend away.
3. SPORTY PERFORMANCE
For the 2020 year, Toyota introduced more power to the Corolla. The Corolla's SE and XSE trims come with a 169-hp engine, which means you'll have plenty of power in both the hatchback and sedan versions. In addition, sports mode (optional on the sedan and standard on the hatchback) will give you even more of a thrilling ride. If you want a commuter car with a little excitement, the redesigned Corolla delivers.
4. TECH CONNECTIVITY
The 2020 Toyota Corolla makes it easy to stay connected while you're on the road. The sedan comes standard with Siri® Eyes Free, Apple CarPlay, and Bluetooth® connectivity. It also offers an available Wi-Fi hotspot, which may require a subscription to a data plan to use.2 The hatchback version has even more tech options, including standard Android Auto™ and Amazon Alexa™.
5. HIGH MPG
If you're looking for a car that sips gas and saves time at the pump, the Corolla is a good option. The base engine, a 139-hp 1.8L four-cylinder, gets an EPA-estimated 33 mpg combined when paired with an automatic transmission.1 The 169-hp 2.0L four-cylinder that comes standard in all hatchbacks and in SE and XSE sedans goes even further, getting an EPA-estimated 34 mpg combined in the sedan and 35 mpg in the hatchback.1 Because of these high-mpg ratings, the 2020 Toyota Corolla is a great car for commuters.
What You Need to Know
2020 Toyota Corolla: Available Trims
- L (sedan only): 139-hp 1.8L 4-cylinder engine, cloth seats, LED headlights, seven-inch touch screen with Apple CarPlay, available Wi-Fi,2 and more
- LE (sedan only): Heated exterior mirrors, premium cloth seats, automatic climate control, moonroof becomes an available option
- XLE (sedan only): Synthetic-leather seats, standard moonroof, high-grade LED headlights, leather-trimmed steering wheel, and more
- SE (hatchback and sedan): 169-hp 2.0L 4-cylinder engine, fabric sports seats, leather-trimmed steering wheel, optional manual transmission, and more
- SE Nightshade Edition (hatchback and sedan): Black grille, mirrors, and blacked-out badging
- XSE (hatchback and sedan): Synthetic-leather seats, leather-wrapped steering wheel, blind-spot monitoring, and a moonroof (sedan only)
2020 Toyota Corolla: Available Colors
The 2020 Toyota Corolla sedan is available in the following colors:
- Barcelona Red Metallic
- Black Sand Pearl
- Blizzard Pearl
- Blue Crush Metallic
- Classic Silver Metallic
- Super White
The 2020 Toyota Corolla hatchback is available in the following colors:
- Blue Flame
- Blizzard Pearl
- Classic Silver Metallic
- Galactic Aqua Mica
- Midnight Black Metallic
- Oxide Bronze
- Smoked Paprika Metallic
2020 Toyota Corolla: Interior
- Seating for five
- 13.1 cubic feet of storage in the sedan and 17.8 cubic feet of storage in the hatchback
- Standard USB ports
- Standard Apple CarPlay; Android Auto comes standard on hatchback models
- Available sunroof and leather seating on select trims
Toyota Corolla Average CarMax Prices
The 2020 Toyota Corolla is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. Pricing data for this model at CarMax is currently unavailable. See below to learn more about previous model years.
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2020 Toyota Corolla, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features. Pricing data for this model at CarMax is currently unavailable. See below to learn more about previous model years.
Safety and Reliability
RepairPal® Reliability Ratings for the 2020 Toyota Corolla3
The 2020 Toyota Corolla is a newer model and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. You may also consider other used Toyota Corollas with similar features. Below are RepairPal reliability ratings for prior model years of the Toyota Corolla.
- Overall RepairPal Reliability Rating - 4.5/5.0
- Average annual cost of unscheduled repairs and maintenance: $362.00
RepairPal Reliability Ratings are based on the actual cost, frequency, and severity of unscheduled repairs and maintenance on make/model data for select 2010–2019 vehicles. The reliability of a specific vehicle may vary depending on its maintenance and driving history, model year, trim, and features. Learn more at www.carmax.com/repairpal-reliability.
NHTSA Safety Ratings - 2020 Toyota Corolla
The 2020 Toyota Corolla received an overall 5/5 safety rating by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2020 Toyota Corolla, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
The Honda Civic has seating for five people and is available as a sedan, coupe, or hatchback. The most recent generation of the Civic launched in 2016 and the hatchback was introduced in 2017. The Civic's base engine is a 158-hp 2.0L four-cylinder. A 174-hp 1.5L turbocharged four-cylinder and 205-hp 1.5L turbocharged four-cylinder are also available on select trims, making the Civic a good choice for drivers focused on performance. Features on 2017–2019 models include:
- Up to 15.1 cubic feet of storage space in the sedan and up to 25.7 cubic feet of cargo space in the hatchback
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto on all trims except the LX and LX-P
- Available driver-assist features including lane-keep assist and emergency braking
The Toyota Camry is a full-sized sedan with seating for five and up to 15.1 cubic feet of cargo space. It comes standard with a 203-hp 2.5L four-cylinder engine and offers an optional 301-hp 3.5L V6. The Camry was redesigned in 2018, and models since that year have remained much the same. As of 2019, Apple CarPlay is standard on the Camry. The 2019 model also comes with many standard driver-assist features, including:
- Standard Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, Amazon Alexa, and the Toyota+Alexa app
- Lane-keeping assist, pre-collision system, automatic headlights, and adaptive cruise control
- 14.1 cubic feet of cargo space in the base trim and 15.1 cubic feet of cargo space in all other trims
The Hyundai Elantra has seating for five people and is available as a sedan or hatchback. Sixth-generation models (2016-present) come standard with a 147-hp 2L four-cylinder engine paired with a manual transmission, although an automatic transmission is available on base models and standard in all other trims. The 2016-to-present Elantra has 14.4 cubic feet of cargo space as a sedan and 24.9 cubic feet as a hatchback. It also has many available driver-assist features once you move into the higher trims. 2016–2019 models come with:
- Standard five-inch display screen with Bluetooth and USB connection as well as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto on SEL trims and higher
- 14.4 cubic feet of cargo space in the sedan and 24.9 cubic feet in the hatchback
- Pre-collision warning, lane-keeping assist, blind-spot monitoring and more driver-assist features on the SEL trim and higher
The Bottom Line
The 2020 Toyota Corolla sips fuel and offers many standard driver-assist and connectivity features, making it great for commuters. The Corolla's decent storage space, especially in the hatchback version, makes it appealing to drivers with children or others who regularly require storage.
Want to learn more about the 2020 Toyota Corolla and similar vehicles? Check out these related links.
1Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates for when vehicle sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov for details.
2Wi-Fi hotspots require a data plan to activate and may also require a compatible device. See the owner's manual or manufacturer website for more information.
3RepairPal Reliability Ratings are provided by RepairPal and CarMax is not responsible for their accuracy. Learn more at repairpal.com/reliability.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.