Rugged good looks and interior charm.
No matter where you see it, the Toyota 4Runner looks like it just arrived from a grand adventure. And no matter where you drive it, the 4Runner is ready to take the road less traveled or handle some rough patches on the way to work. The 2021 model is no exception: A capable pavement cruiser, this SUV boasts a spacious interior and chiseled styling. It's also a versatile SUV that excels off the road.
While we currently do not have many 2021 Toyota 4Runners on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. If you love the 2021 model, you should also consider prior model years of the Toyota 4Runner with similar features.
Here's what you'll learn in this Toyota 4Runner review:
Key Specs & Features
- The 2021 Toyota 4Runner (2WD or 4WD) with a 4.0L V6 engine and automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 17 mpg combined.1
- Behind front seat: 89.7 cubic feet
- Behind second row: 47.2 cubic feet
- Behind third row: 9.0 cubic feet
- Toyota 4Runner towing capacity is an estimated 5,000 lbs. with the 4.0L V6 on 2021 models, when properly equipped.2
- Seats five (or up to seven passengers with the optional third row)
- The 2021 Toyota 4Runner is powered by a 4.0L V6 engine and five-speed automatic transmission, delivering 270 hp and 278 lb.-ft. of torque.
- Backup camera with projected path
- Power rear liftgate window with auto up/down and jam protection
- 4.2-inch multi-information display
- Three USB ports
- Pre-collision system with pedestrian detection, lane-departure alert, vehicle stability control, traction control, brake assist, and more
The Toyota 4Runner has a strong sales history at CarMax. It has been featured in these ranking lists:
5 Reasons to Buy
1. It's a Tough and Rugged SUV
The Toyota 4Runner boasts body-on-frame construction — a separate body that's mounted on a frame, or chassis. This is designed to make the 4Runner body more flexible, adding to its handling and off-road performance. That means this SUV is a great choice for camping trips or adventures that take you across rough terrain.
2. Ready for Weekend Adventures
Looking for off-road adventures? The 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off-Road or 4Runner Venture Special Edition can take you off the beaten path in style. These trims make the 4Runner even more rugged, with additional drive settings for off-roading and a locking rear differential for traction.
3. Lots of Modern Features
The 2021 Toyota 4Runner features plenty of technology to help you on journeys both long and short. That includes pedestrian detection, lane-departure warning, electronic brake-force distribution, and Smart Stop Technology®. The 4Runner also offers the convenience of Android Auto™, Apple CarPlay®, and Amazon Alexa™ compatibility.
4. Tons of Interior Room
With room for up to seven passengers, the 2021 Toyota 4Runner, with standard seating for five, is a practical vehicle for your whole crew. The current fifth generation — with optional third-row seating — features 9.0 cubic feet of cargo capacity behind the back seats. This expands to 46.3 cubic feet with the back row down and 88.8 cubic feet with all rear seats folded. For 2021 Toyota 4Runners, cargo capacity with all rear sears folded increases to 89.7 cubic feet.
5. Multiple Configurations
The 2021 Toyota 4Runner balances timeless design with carefully selected features, offering multiple configurations to suit your needs. That includes standard LED headlamps for all models, and special editions at the ready. The 2021 Toyota 4Runner includes a Trail Special Edition, with exterior color choices like Army Green, Cement, Midnight Black, and Super White. It also offers black exterior badging, and black seating with tan stitching.
What You Need to Know
- SR5: Includes 17-inch wheels, roof rails, LED headlights, a power rear window, leather-wrapped steering wheel, and power-adjustable front seats.
- Trail Special Edition: Adds dark-painted wheels, exterior trim, and a portable beverage cooler.
- SR5 Premium: Adds faux leather upholstery, heated front seats, and keyless ignition/entry.4
- TRD Off-Road and TRD Off-Road Premium: Adds a locking rear differential as standard, and more.
- Venture Special Edition: Adds a Yakima® roof rack, painted TRD wheels, and black exterior accents.
- Limited: Includes 20-inch wheels, chrome exterior accents, a sunroof, leather upholstery, and more.
- Limited Nightshade Edition: Adds black-painted wheels and black exterior trim.
- TRD Pro: Includes off-road suspension, TRD wheels, sunroof, navigation system, and JBL® sound system.
- Army Green (Trail)
- Barcelona Red Metallic (SR5, TRD Off-Road, Venture, Limited)
- Blizzard Pearl (Nightshade)
- Cement (Trail)
- Classic Silver Metallic (SR5, TRD Off-Road, Venture, Limited)
- Lunar Rock (TRD Pro)
- Magnetic Gray Metallic (all trims except Trail)
- Midnight Black Metallic (all trims)
- Nautical Blue Metallic (SR5, TRD Off-Road, Venture, Limited)
- Super White (all trims except Nightshade)
- Cargo space measures 89.7 cubic feet behind the front row
- Seating for five or up to seven with optional third row
- Eight-inch touchscreen display with Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, and Bluetooth® capability
- Eight-way power-adjustable driver seat with power lumbar support
- Four-way adjustable front passenger seat
Average CarMax Prices
The 2021 Toyota 4Runner is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. See below for average CarMax prices for previous model years of the Toyota 4Runner.
- 2012 – Average prices less than $22,5003
- 2013 – Average prices less than $23,0003
- 2014 – Average prices less than $25,5003
- 2015 – Average prices less than $27,5003
- 2016 – Average prices less than $29,5003
- 2017 – Average prices less than $31,5003
- 2018 – Average prices less than $33,5003
- 2019 – Average prices less than $33,0003
- 2020 – Average prices less than $38,0003
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2021 Toyota 4Runner, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
The 2021 Toyota 4Runner is rated overall 5/5 by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2021 Toyota 4Runner, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
The Toyota Tacoma provides rugged performance with plenty of interior room. As a midsize truck, the 2017-2019 Toyota Tacoma seats four passengers — five with the Double Cab configuration. Interior tech features include a 4.2-inch driver display, Toyota Entune® audio system, Bluetooth capability, and a USB interface. The 2017-2019 Tacoma boasts forward-collision warning with automatic emergency braking, and lane-departure alert. Standard features for the 2017-2019 Toyota Tacoma SR5 trim include:
- 16-inch alloy wheels
- Rearview camera
- Sliding rear window with privacy glass
- Remote keyless entry
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
The 2017-2019 Toyota Highlander has three rows that fit up to eight passengers and is widely known for comfort and plentiful cargo room — measuring 83.2 cubic feet with the second and third rows folded down. The 2019 Toyota Highlander boasts a 6.1-inch touchscreen, Bluetooth capability, and five USB ports. Driver-assistance features from 2019 include adaptive cruise control and forward-collision warning with automatic emergency braking. Standard equipment for the 2017-2019 Toyota Highlander includes:
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Rear privacy glass
- Rear air-conditioning
- Sliding and reclining 60/40-split second-row seat
- Reclining 60/40-split third-row seat
The 2017-2019 Jeep Wrangler offers room for up to five passengers and ample cargo space, whether it's 55.8 cubic feet in the 2017 Wrangler JK model or 46.9 cubic feet for the 2018-2019 Jeep Wrangler JL. For 2018-2019 Jeep Wrangler models, interior features include a seven-inch touchscreen, navigation, Apple CarPlay, and Android Auto capability. Standard features across 2017-2019 Jeep Wrangler models include:
- 16-inch wheels (2017) or 17-inch wheels (2018-2019)
- Rearview camera (2018-2019)
- Cloth upholstery (2017-2019)
- Two 12-volt power outlets (2018-2019)
- Uconnect® infotainment system with a five-inch touchscreen (2018-2019)
The Bottom Line
With its unique body-on-frame design and roomy interior, the Toyota 4Runner is a real crowd-pleaser. If you desire adventures beyond the pavement but also want the chiseled looks of a daily road warrior, the 4Runner is an excellent choice.
Looking to learn more? Check out these related articles:
- Best Midsize SUVs for 2020
- The Best All-in-One Vehicles for Summer Camping (2020)
- Best AWD and 4WD SUVs for 2020 Shoppers
1Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates when vehicles sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov for details.
2Various factors may impact towing capacity, including weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories.
3Based on CarMax average prices between January 2, 2019 and June 4, 2020. Actual prices may vary based on your selected model year, features, and trim packages. Prices do not include tax, title, tags, and any applicable fees.
4Remote start functionality may require the purchase of a subscription plan and/or a compatible device like a smartphone. See the owner's manual or manufacturer website for more information.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.