An adventure-seeking SUV.
Weekend trail-exploring couples and city-dwelling families will equally enjoy the rugged, stylish 2020 Toyota 4Runner. This full-size SUV flaunts a modern suite of technology features in the cabin and impressive mechanics under the hood. From daily commutes to impromptu getaways, this vehicle will get you there comfortably.
While we currently do not have many 2020 Toyota 4Runners on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. Here's what you'll learn in this 2020 Toyota 4Runner review:
Key Specs and Features
- The 2020 Toyota 4Runner with 2WD or 4WD, 4.0L V6 engine, and five-speed automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 17 mpg combined.1
- With a standard seating configuration for five passengers, there is 47.2 cubic feet of cargo space behind the second-row seats.
- When the 40/20/40 fold-flat second-row seats are folded down, 88.8 cubic feet of total cargo space is available.
- If adding the optional third-row seating, 9 cubic feet of space is available behind the seats.
- The Toyota 4Runner's towing capacity is an estimated 5,000 lbs. with the 4.0L V6 engine on 2020 models, when properly equipped.2
- Standard seating accommodates five passengers.
- Optional third-row seating allows for a total of seven passengers.
- 270 hp, 4.0L, V6
- Driver-assistance features
- Navigation system
- USB ports
- Apple CarPlay®, Android Auto™, and Amazon Alexa compatibility
- Voice recognition
The Toyota 4Runner has a strong sales history at CarMax. It has been featured in these ranking lists.
Reasons to Buy
1. Ample Driver Comfort
Drivers are spoiled in the 2020 Toyota 4Runner with an eight-way power-adjustable seat and a leather-wrapped steering wheel. If you choose the SR5 Premium trim or TRD Off-Road Premium trim, you'll also get heated front seats and power-controlled lumbar support for the driver. The Limited edition flaunts ventilated front seats and driver seat memory for easy repositioning.
2. Great Towing and Cargo
Love weekend trips? The standard trim includes 47.2 cubic feet of cargo space behind the second-row seats to store luggage, camping gear, and whatever you need on your adventures. If you go for the Venture trim, you'll gain a roof rack to store additional cargo. The 2020 Toyota 4Runner also makes it possible to haul a pull-behind camper or boat with its estimated 5,000 lb. towing capacity (with the 4.0L engine, when properly equipped).2
3. Rugged Off-Road Capabilities
If you spend your days exploring trails and rural terrain, the optional locking center differential, two-speed transfer case, and crawl control enhance the capabilities of the 2020 Toyota 4Runner. The Multi-Terrain Select System allows you to choose mud, sand, loose rock, rock and dirt, or mogul and rock options to better handle the vehicle on off-road surfaces.
4. Technology-loaded Cabin
For the connected family, the eight-inch touchscreen multimedia system with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and Amazon Alexa compatibility will appease everyone in the car. You'll also find USB ports located in the front and back seats for easy device charging on the go. Additional tech features include satellite radio, HD radio, and voice-recognition assistance for hands-free engagement.
5. Helpful Driver-Assistance Features
Shopping for a vehicle for your college-bound teen? The 2020 Toyota 4Runner not only allows them to haul friends around campus easily, but it also helps them drive smarter. This vehicle features forward-collision warning with pedestrian detection, automatic emergency braking, lane-departure warning, adaptive cruise control, and automatic high-beam headlights.
What You Need to Know
2020 Toyota 4Runner: Available Trims
- SR5: Includes pre-collision system with pedestrian detection, lane-departure warning, automatic high-beam headlights, adaptive cruise control, skid plates, fog lights, 12-volt power outlet in the cargo area, power-sliding rear window, infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability, and more.
- SR5 Premium: Adds upgraded upholstery options, heated front seats, navigation system, auto-dimming mirror, optional sunroof, and more.
- TRD Off-Road: Includes locking rear differential, multi-terrain off-road settings, crawl control function, optional Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS), 17-inch wheels, hood scoop, and more.
- TRD Off-Road Premium: Adds driver lumbar support, SofTex vinyl upholstery, navigation system, optional sunroof, and more.
- Venture: Includes TRD Off-Road Premium plus Yakima MegaWarrior roof rack, black accents on the exterior, 17-inch dark gray TRD wheels, all-weather floor liners, and more.
- TRD Pro: Adds revised front springs, Fox dampers with internal bypass rear remote reservoirs, all-terrain tires, front skid plate, sunroof, 15-speaker JBL® sound system, and more.
- Limited: Includes keyless entry, keyless ignition, dual-zone climate control, on-road friendly suspension for city drivers, chrome exterior accents, 20-inch wheels, leather seating, and more.
- Limited Nightshade: Limited edition with black exterior trim.
2020 Toyota 4Runner: Available Colors
- Army Green
- Barcelona Red Metallic
- Blizzard Pearl
- Classic Silver Metallic
- Magnetic Gray Metallic
- Midnight Black Metallic
- Nautical Blue Metallic
- Super White
2020 Toyota 4Runner: Interior
- 47.2 cubic feet of cargo space
- Seating for five passengers (or seven with the optional third row)
- Rear-door storage bins
- USB ports
Toyota 4Runner: Average CarMax Prices
The 2020 Toyota 4Runner is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. Pricing data for this model at CarMax is currently unavailable. See below to learn more about previous model years.
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2020 Toyota 4Runner, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
Safety and Reliability
RepairPal® Reliability Ratings for the Toyota 4Runner3
The 2020 Toyota 4Runner is a newer model and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. You may also consider other used Toyota 4Runners with similar features. Below are RepairPal reliability ratings for prior model years of the Toyota 4Runner.
- Overall RepairPal Reliability Rating - 4.0/5.0
- Average annual cost of unscheduled repairs and maintenance: $515
RepairPal Reliability Ratings are based on the actual cost, frequency, and severity of unscheduled repairs and maintenance on make/model data for select 2010–2019 vehicles. The reliability of a specific vehicle may vary depending on its maintenance and driving history, model year, trim, and features. Learn more at www.carmax.com/repairpal-reliability.
NHTSA Safety Ratings - 2020 Toyota 4Runner
The 2020 Toyota 4Runner received overall 4/5 by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2020 Toyota 4Runner, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
With three rows of seating, helpful driver-assistance features, and a powerful 5.7L V8 engine, the 2018 Toyota Sequoia is a true family vehicle. If you're embarking on an off-road vacation, the 4WD and independent rear suspension is up for the challenge. This SUV is also available in RWD for city drivers. The 2018 model includes these features as standard:
- Rearview and blind-spot monitors
- Seating for eight passengers
- Sliding second-row seats
This full-size SUV can go anywhere, from suburban errands to mountain trails. The full-time 4WD, crawl control for rocky terrain, and powerful V8 engine in the 2019 Toyota Land Cruiser gives you the flexibility to easily take this from a daily driver to a weekend adventure vehicle. Large door openings and hefty grab handles make it simple for all ages to enter and exit this eight-passenger vehicle. 2017-2019 models include these standard features:
- Four-zone climate control
- Bluetooth® for audio and phone connectivity
- USB port for music sharing
- Navigation system
With seating for five, the 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee offers comfort when cruising on paved roads as well as dirt paths. Passengers enjoy dual-zone automatic climate control and the chance to play their music through either the Bluetooth connection or USB port. This midsize SUV also features a rearview camera and rear parking sensors, making it easy to maneuver in both busy city traffic and at a campsite. The 2017 model includes as standard:
- Push-button start
- Five-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Bluetooth® capability
- USB port
The Bottom Line
Whether you're looking for a full-size SUV with a spacious interior and rugged chassis to accommodate your growing family or your collection of outdoor adventure gear, the 2020 Toyota 4Runner will do the trick. A true off-road to city-street vehicle, its technology and driver-assistance features are sure to impress.
Looking to learn more about SUVs? Check out these related articles:
1Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates when vehicle sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov for details.
2Various factors may impact towing capacity, including weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories.
3RepairPal Reliability Ratings are provided by RepairPal and CarMax is not responsible for their accuracy.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.